In Autumn we want food that’s just right for the season – not too light, not too ‘comfort food’ but just deliciously right for the moment. The following recipe features great tasting creamy coconut noodles partnered with lightly spiced sweet and sour style prawns. Sounds just right? Try it – it is!
1 cup coconut milk (low fat is fine)
1 pkt wide noodles (such as udon or rice noodles)
1/4 cup Thai sweet chilli sauce
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 generous tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/4 cup white wine
2-3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 shallots, finely sliced
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g green prawns, peeled and deveined
• Place a saucepan over a medium heat, add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the coconut milk is reduced by half.
• While the coconut milk is simmering, soak the noodles in hot water according to the instructions on the packet. You want the noodles to be just tender because they are going to get a bit more cooking in the coconut milk. Drain the noodles thoroughly before adding them to the reduced coconut milk.
• Simmer until the noodle/coconut milk mixture is slightly thickened. Set to one side and keep warm.
• In a glass bowl, mix together the sweet chilli sauce, tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornflour and white wine until smooth. Stir the cornflour and white wine into the chilli sauce mixture. Set to one side.
• In a wok or frying pan, heat the peanut oil over a medium heat. Add the sliced shallots, ginger and garlic to the pan and stir fry until you can smell the delicious aroma wafting up from the pan. Tip the peeled and deveined prawns into the pan and continue to stir fry until the prawns are just pink. Give the chilli sauce/cornflour mixture a stir before pouring into the pan. Continue to simmer, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens.
• Lightly drain the coconut noodles to remove excess coconut milk. You want to infuse the coconut milk flavour through the noodles but not end up with too much liquid diluting the delicious flavour of the prawns.
• Place the coconut noodles on a serving platter, top with the spicy prawns and allow everybody to serve themselves.Reads: 571