The wonderful flavours and differing textures of Crispy Squid with Noodles make for a deliciously memorable meal. I have used squid rings in this recipe but you could also substitute whole cleaned baby squid or baby octopus.
The list of ingredients may appear to be lengthy but they are all items that either may be in your pantry or easily purchased at your local supermarket. The preparation time should only take about 15 minutes and the cooking time is only 10 minutes. This means that you can have the Crispy Squid with Noodles on the table in less than half an hour. How good is that?
500g squid rings
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 egg, lightly beaten
2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 pkt Asian style noodles of your choice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons chilli sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
(1) In a glass bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Wash the squid rings thoroughly and pat dry with some paper towel. Add the squid to the bowl with the marinade. Mix well (clean hands are good) to ensure that the squid is well coated with the marinade and place to one side while you cook the noodles and prepare the sauce.
(2) Cook the Asian noodles according to the directions on the packet. When cooked, drain well and place to one side.
(3) To make the sauce, simply place all of the sauce ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and stir well to combine. Allow the sauce ingredients in the saucepan to come to a gentle simmer and continue to simmer over a low heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
(4) While the sauce is cooking, drain the marinade away from the squid. Place the cornflour into one medium sized bowl and the lightly beaten egg into another bowl. Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frypan.
(5) Dredge the squid rings lightly in the cornflour and then dip into the beaten egg. Add the coated squid into the hot oil and stir-fry for a couple of minutes until the squid is crispy and golden brown. Remove the cooked squid from the pan and drain on some paper towel. Then quickly toss the crispy squid in the sauce.
(6) To serve, place a generous serving of the crispy squid with sauce onto a serving plate with a portion of the Asian noodles and enjoy.
The seafood used in this recipe was supplied by Princess Charlotte Seafoods, ph (07) 3256 9175.Reads: 1891