"

Rain revs up Yarra
  |  First Published: June 2007



Trout season in the local rivers will soon close but the recent rain has improved the fishing along the Yarra River – so now is the time to have that last flick of the flyrod or try some spinning or baitfishing for trout. The rain is making some areas very dirty, however the trout are loving the cooler temperatures and the new food sources.

Currently the most consistent trout reports are coming from above Woori Yallock up to the upper reaches near Warburton. Don’t be afraid to venture into the top reaches of the Yarra River. No water is too shallow at this time of year, but always be careful to not walk on the spawning grounds.

The trout seem to be getting spooked very easily, perhaps more so than other years at this time, so try moving quietly along the banks and do not venture into very slow moving water. If you need to wade across, go through the faster flowing water.

For the flyfishers, olive and rusty brown flies seem to be working better than the lighter colours. June is the right time of year to use either very big or very small flies. The trout will either be feeding and will take a small fly, or will be more aggressive at spawning time and will take a larger fly. Middle-sized flies will not get the same action.

As an alternative to flies or bait, why not try using plastics. Success has been had using Berkley Natural and Bloody Saltwater sandworms. The scent in these plastics is working extremely well in the cooler running streams and rivers. To rig for trout, attach one or two size BB splitshots about 10cm above a Baitkeeper size 6 hook. Thread the hook through the side arm/legs of the worm. We have found that this gives it a more rigorous action and results in better hook ups.

When using this method cast up against the banks near fine structure. Retrieve the line at a pace matching the drift of the worm, keeping minimal slack and maximum contact at all times. This will ensure that when you go to strike you have instant tension on the line. Be prepared to strike at every movement and although 80% will be only a leaf or stick, the other 20% will be fish.

The bait angler is having most success using small scrubworms or maggots. Creating a berley trail and drifting your bait along it will attract more fish and increase your chances.

Although the streams and rivers will close for trout on the Queen’s Birthday weekend (June 11), lakes and dams are still open, plus you can still target other species along the Yarra.

Fishing for Murray cod and golden perch will become progressively harder as winter progresses, but fishing for eels, blackfish and redfin will improve as the temperatures drop and the rain brings run-off and new food sources along the banks.

Reports from Sugarloaf Reservoir have been positive, however the best fishing seems to be within 20 minutes of ‘lock up’ time. I think the Ranger must think anglers are pretty slow at packing up during autumn/winter. Anyway this is a great local spot not far from Yarra Glen and will provide some great fishing when conditions are right.

Fishing in the Yarra at Warrandyte has been slow over the past week and the water when I was last down there was running dirty and very fast. Only a few anglers were trying their luck, with most success coming from around one hour before and up to two hours after dusk. Baitfishers using small scrubworms seemed to be attracting more of the trout and Macquarie perch than those spinning or flyfishing.

Had some success? Send me the details via email at --e-mail address hidden-- . Include the angler, species, where caught (you don’t need to give me all your secrets) and what bait, lure or flies you used.

For up to date Yarra Valley fishing information contact the boys at Compleat Angler in Ringwood on 03 9870 7792 or better still drop in at 92 Maroondah Hwy– we’re open 7 days a week with plenty of top quality fresh bait and a great selection of freshwater gear.

Reads: 814

Matched Content ... powered by Google