Hoping for clarity
  |  First Published: April 2011

Everybody is hoping Lake Mulwala settles and becomes more fisher-friendly soon. Lately, having teeth pulled would have been a more pleasurable experience than trying to pull a fish from Mulwala.

Luckily we didn’t have the fish kills experienced farther downstream from Echuca through to Mildura and beyond but reports from the lake indicated things were tough at best and only a few had much luck.

The most productive reports come from local gun Rohan Stephens, who spent several long calm nights throwing around various styles of surface lures.

He was rewarded with numerous good-sized cod and also received a few massive strikes that left him shaking with fear and excitement.

Until you have fished the surface and had a couple of good hits, this feeling is almost indescribable and something every angler should experience at least once in their life.

Downstream towards Cobram fishing has been almost impossible with access to most river bends still closed.

Best bet if you’re looking for an easy access camping option in this region is to head to Kiffins Reserve, about 6km out of Mulwala on the Corowa Road.


Unprecedented flows have triggered a mass migration of golden perch upstream below the weir. Some anglers have been looking for great sport while others were looking to fill their car boots.

I don’t believe the damage done to stock numbers here with hook and line goes anywhere near the damage the blackwater events farther downstream inflicted.

But I do urge all those fishing this area to act responsibly and only take what they genuinely need.

Mixed in among the yellas have been several cod, including a 69cm fish caught by Ethan Fullex, of Goornong. Most productive baits have been shrimp, yabbies and worms.


A record field of 194 anglers on 97 boats were greeted with buckets of rain at the start of the Lowrance Da$h 4 Ca$h Super Series.

At the end of the morning session only five legal cod had been measured. Leigh Roberts and Ian Kelly from Team Bushrangers took the cash for their 74cm specimen that also received a healthy bonus points loading due to its early capture.

Mark and Ian Proctor finished second place with a 75cm fish while locals Scott and Daryl Walker were third with a 60cm model.

After lunch conditions remained tough and again five legals were measured with only nine points separating first from fifth. Peter Murphy and James McGee from Murphy’s Misfits won with a 62cm cod from John Anderson and Andrew Cavigan while Waz and Steven Hicks took third.

Sunday morning produced a clear sky and no wind but fish were again at a premium. Darren Green and Duayne Giles returned with a 72cm fish to beat Greg Crellin and Simon Abernethy with Luke Quarrel and Nick Mason returning the only other legal to take third.

In the final leg of the Masters Series only 14 boats attended and one fish a touch over 60cm was enough to scoop the pool.

Ethan Fullex with his beautiful 69cm Murray cod.

Reads: 1959

Matched Content ... powered by Google

Latest Articles

Fishing Monthly Magazines On Instagram

Digital Editions

Read Digital Editions

Current Magazine - Editorial Content

Western Australia Fishing Monthly
Victoria Fishing Monthly
Queensland Fishing Monthly